Ob Luang National Park : Chiang Mai Attractions
Ob Luang National Parkis an amazing natural attraction comprising of both splendid natural charms as well as mysterious scenery. A zigzagging river flous in front of a picturesque gorge. Acquiring a total area of 553 square kilometers, the National park covers areas in Amphoe Chom Thong, Amphoe Hot, Amphoe Mae Chaem of Chiang Mai. Also it was declared as the Thailand 68th national park in 1991.
Ob Luang National Park is located on the Thanon Thong Chai mountain range lying down from northern to southern. The area is a high, steep cliff with a narrow passage, creating strong currents and powerful echoes. The mountain ranges were ail formed by the same folding event in the Cretaaus and Triassic periods creating granite, granodionte and Mitmatile granite.
Rainy season is from May to October. Winter is from November to January and summer is from February to April.
Flora and Fauna
Mixed deciduous forest, deciduous dipterocarp and evergreen forest including pine forest blankets the national park with various plants such as Tectona grands. Dipterocarpus alatus, Pterocarpus macrocar-pus, Xylia xylocarpa, Hobea odorata, Toona ciliata, Afzelia xylocarpa, Diospyros mollis, Millettia leucan-tha var. buteoides, Terminate alata, Lagerstroemia speciosa, Michelia ftoribunda, Stereobermum cotias, Dipterocarpus obtusifolius, D. tubercutatus, Shorea obtusa. S.siamensis and Pinus sp. including genus Lithocarpus such as Bamboos, Palms and Ferns. The National Park is home to wild animals such as Tiger. Sambar Deer, Asiatic Black Bear. Macaque, Siamese Hare, Squirrel, Southern Serow, Common Wild Boar, Common Muntjak, Gibbon, Civet, Pangolin. Palm Civet, Langur, Mongoose, Northern Treeshrew and Tree Monitor. Different birds such as Vernal Hanging-Parrots, White-rumped Shama, Scarlet Minivet. Spotted Dove, Common Koel, Woodpecker, Greater Coucal, Hill Myna, Shikra, Sparrow-hawk, Falconet, Peacock Pheasant. Red Junglefowl, Lineated Barbet, Bulbul, Broadbiil, Pun-throated Babbler, Little Bee-eater and Partridge.
Attractions in Ob Luang National Park
- Ob Luang, the Great Canyon is located at the 17 kilometre of Highway No. 108. It covers the areas of Tambon Hang Dong, Amp hoe Hot, Tambon Ban Pae, Amphoe Chom Thong. It offers a breathtaking view of the natural scenery of a steep river valley amidst scenic mountains and Teak or Tectona grandis forests.
- Mae Bua Kham Waterfall, originates from Huai Mae Bua Kham in Tambon Hang Dong, Amphoe Hot.
- Mae Chan Waterfall originates from Huai Mae Chan in Tambon Ban Pae, Amphoe Chom Thong. It is a large waterfall flowing down to several rock
Ob Luang National Parte is located 105 kilometres from Chiang Mai town along Highway No. 108 (Chiang Mat-HoJ-Mae Sariang) Formations below creating spectacular view of current flowing like translucent fiber spreading all cliffs and terrain. Interesting Prehistoric archaeological site was found near ob Luang.
- Mae Tla Waterfall, one of the beautiful waterfalls, is located in the middle of the jungle of Huai Mae Tia in Amphoe Chom Thong. It cascades from a 80 metres cliff on to the plain below.
- Doi Pha Chang. The granite rocky outcrob is 300 metres long and 49 metres high and has black color. Its shape is like a gigantic elephant sitting on Doi Pha Chang
- Thep Phanom Hot Spring is located in Tambon Tha Pha, Amphoe Mae Cham, far from ob Luang 14 kilometres.
- Tham Tong is the limestone and granite cave.
- Tham Tu Pu, a small cave offers a scenic view of stalagmite and stalactite.
- Mae Cham Riveroriginates from the mountain range in Mae Hong Son province. Its current is strong and zigzagging along the cliffs and valleys.
Ob Luang National Park Map