Wat Phra Singh Chiang Rai : ‘See a respectable Lord Buddha statue of the province.’
If you visit a historic province like Chiang Rai, which was also a part of Lanna Kingdom in the past, surely you don’t want to miss this temple, ‘Wat Phra Singh Chiang Rai. It is a respectable temple of Chiang Rai villagers.
Wat Phra Singh Chiang Rai is an important religious place of the province, as it was the storage of Phra Buddha Sihingh, a respectable Lord Buddha statue of Thailand.
- The principle Lord Buddha statue : The statue was built in Lanna-Thai style, somewhere around the 21st Buddhist era. As soon as you see this, you will see how beautiful this is. The statue looks so glorious with gold-covered bronze. Also, there are alphabets saying about good Karma and bad Karma.
- The ubosot : It was built somewhere during the year 708-709. You will see it in Lanna-Thai style, which is originated from Chiang San period. Basically, the structure of the ubosot is made of wood, but it was renovated, however.
- Ban Pratoo Lauang : Pratoo means ‘gate’ or ‘door’ in English. That’s right. These glorious doors are made of carved wood and designed by Thawan Duchanee, a worldwide-known artist. The doors tell stories of earth, water, wind, and fire. These four elements exist in all of us. Earth means bone and flesh. Wind means air. And fire means heat. Each element is presented by a creature. Elephant presents earth element. Naga presents water element. Garuda presents wind element. Lion present fire element. You should see how marvellous the doors are. They mainly appear as unique Thai carvings.
- The chedi : The chedi of Wat Phra Singh Chiang Rai appears as Lanna-Thai style. It was built in the same period as the ubosot.
- The bell tower : The tower was built in Lanna contemporary style.
- The bodhi tree from Bodh Gaya : Lieutenant General Aumporn Jintakanon was the one who brought the tree all the way from Bodh Gaya, India, to Wat Phra Singh in the year 1963. This is a fortunate tree for all Buddhists. Don’t forget to see it for once in lifetime.
For further details, you may contact the temple by calling 053-711735
How to get there
To get there, you just have to use the same route to Wat Phra Kaew Everything is similar to each other, only that Wat Phra Singh is located just before Wat Phra Kaew. Notice it on the opposite side of Tourism Authority of Thailand Office(northern Thai branch).
Wat Phra Singh Chiang Rai Map